Vendakkai / Okra / Bhindi
1 medium gooseberry size
1 medium size
Dry Red Chillies
6 (As Per your spice level)
Sambar powder or pulikulambu powder
- Wash and cut okra into small pieces.Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of warm water.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the okra till its cooked. Keep the fried okra in separate.
- In same oil add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add asafetida,fenugreek seeds,channa dal and garlic fry for 2 sec then add chopped onions, broken whole red chili, and curry leaves and sauté for 1 minute or sauté till onions turn translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes followed by turmeric,sambar powder (or pulikulambu powder). Add salt as per taste.Saute well till oil comes out.
- Now add the tamarind extract and let it come to a boil then add fried okra mix well,and cook for 5-7 minutes till the raw smell disappears.
- Let this mixture come to a boil,meanwhile grind the coconut with fennel seeds with little water and keep it ready.
- When curry starts boiling add coconut paste and ½ cup water.Reduce the heat to medium/sim, cover and let it cook for about 10-15 mins, till the curry comes to a thick consistency.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with white rice…