Chana (white) - 1 cup
Onion - 2
Tomato - 2 big and juicy ones
Green chilli - 1
GingerGarlic paste - 2 tsp
Oil -1 tbsp
Salt as required
Pepper Powder - 3 tsp
Turmeric Powder -1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder -1 tsp
Coriander Powder -2 tsp
Chana masala Powder -2 tsp (available ready made)
For the seasoning
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Coconut 1/4 cup
Fennel 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves
- Soak chana overnight or 5 hrs and pressure cook channa with a little salt for 4-5 whistles. Chana should be soft.
- Heat oil /butter in a pan, add cumin/jeera seeds and bay leaf.
- When cumin /jeera seeds splutters, add the thinly sliced onion and saute till it turns golden brown,then add ginger garlic paste stir continuously till raw smell goes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Add the spice powders,red chilli powder,turmeric and pepper powder.
- Cook in medium low flame till tomatoes turn mushy and the oil separates
- Now add the cooked, drained chana and chana masala powder and combine well and stir for 5 min
- Grind the coconut with fennel and add the paste to the cooked gravy and fry in low flame for 5 minutes or still raw smell goes off.I added little chopped coriander at this stage.
- Add water(I added 1 & 1/2 cups) mix well. Simmer for 10-12 minutes,or till you get your desired consistency. Remove from fire and transfer to the serving bowl.
- Garnish with little chopped coriander leaves.
- Enjoy with poori or roti !